Dog shampoos are an integral part of dog grooming. Just like we cannot buy just any shampoo for our hair, shampoo also needs to be chosen with care. Along with buying a dog shampoo, a dog conditioner is also a must-have item for protecting the coat of your pet and also for providing it with a luxurious shine.
So why is buying a dog shampoo so important? Why your pet should not use human shampoo? Just like we have different types of hair like dry, oily or wavy, dogs too have different types of coats. Some coats are as smooth as butter whereas some coats are wiry and curly. It is needless to say here that straight hair and curly hair need totally different types of shampooing and conditioning.
Some pointers to keep in mind before you buy shampoo and conditioners for your dog online:
- Never ever buy human shampoo for your dog! Shampoos for humans are formulated for use on human skin and not on canine skin. If you use a human shampoo on your dog, you might see adverse reactions like rashes and itchiness.
- Human shampoos contain many artificial fragrances and colour. Both of these components are harmful if your dog has sensitive skin. Even big strong dogs can have sensitive skin and it is not limited to small breeds.
- Look for shampoos with natural ingredients like tea tree oil, honey, aloe vera and Vitamin E. These are all natural components and wont harm your dog’s skin in any way.
- The fragrances added to the pet shampoo should consist of natural ones like lavender, chamomile, citrus and eucalyptus. Some of these fragrances are also natural insect repellers!
- If you find any dog shampoo labeled as “organic”, please buy it only after reading the list of ingredients. Just the label “organic” doesn’t guarantee that the product won’t have any artificial ingredients.
- Whether you buy from a store or from an online pet store, the ingredient list is always available. Make good use of the same and buy a shampoo which is the most suitable for your dog.
One bottle of dog shampoo can last for almost a year, so investing in big bottles can save you a lot of time and money. Dogs don’t need to be bathed regularly and just a good clean once in a while is good for your pet. And don’t forget to buy the conditioner!